By Jeff Bollig —
Acendas Travel closely monitors issues affecting travel and receives timely updates through its various leisure travel partners and its membership in the Signature Travel Network. We always recommend that travelers consult the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website (cdc.gov) for the latest information on any health, safety and security threats, both foreign and in the U.S.
The travel industry takes seriously its efforts to safeguard travelers against these threats. Numerous wholesalers who provide travel that we offer to the public have taken additional safeguards regarding the outbreak of the Coronavirus. These include some or all of the following:
- Pre-board health reporting for all passengers, advising them of their obligation to report any illness symptom; questionnaire screening for persons from affected regions; and denial of boarding if necessary.
- Passengers who visit onboard medical centers with respiratory cases will be evaluated for illness.
- Guests who have traveled from or through China, Hong Kong, or Macau within the 14-days prior to sailing, will not be permitted to board the ship.
- Reporting to local and national health authorities of all cases of fever and respiratory illness, and any patients with suspected coronavirus infection.
- Crew members from China will be delayed from joining any ship until further notice.
- Environmental disinfection onboard will be performed in addition to regular stringent cleaning and sanitation protocols.
- Quarantine of unwell individuals from the general ship population; and intensified ship cleaning, air filtration, and sanitization procedures.
As with all respiratory illnesses, particularly during cold and flu season, you can take steps to reduce your risk of illness:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds
- Where soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid close contact with people suffering from respiratory illness
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Get vaccinated against seasonal influenza.
Acendas Travel continues to monitor reports and will serve as a clearinghouse of information for its clients.